Friday, May 24, 2013

Garlic Scape Pesto

I harvested lots of garlic scapes today. For supper tonight I made a pesto and tossed it with pasta that will serve to be a bed for the lovely piece of grouper that I picked up at our local fish store today.

To make the pesto you will need:
1/2 cup of scapes diced
1/2 cup walnut pieces
a large handful of Parmesan cheese
salt to taste
olive oil
Toss all ingredients in a blender except olive oil. Blend and scrape down several times. Scapes can be a bit stringy, so do this several times to ensure a nice texture. Slowly add enough olive oil to make a creamy pesto.

I also harvested the first of our spring onions. With these I made a spring onion relish to top the grouper we grilled. I sliced onions, sauteed in a bit of butter, salt, pepper and some fresh thyme.

To grill the fish lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook to desired degree of doneness, top with spring onion relish and a slice of aged white cheddar or farmer's cheese. Close grill lid and allow cheese to melt. Serve over top of pasta tossed with garlic scape pesto. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Yum Kelly. It's 10am and I'm ready for dinner.Salome

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very tasty! I hope you will give it a try. ;o)

    ReplyDelete